Thursday, February 10, 2011

100 Yard Dash

I guarantee you'll be hooked on this one from the opening bass line:



Man, I love Raphael Saadiq. I first heard about him on a guitar tone forum, but then caught him live at Bonnaroo in 2009. This cat has some serious style and skill; from the fitted suits and classic spectacles to the down right phenomenal vocals and guitar chops. And while he may not be the first to try to bring soul back - Lauryn Hill and Erykah Badu got it off to a good start in the '90s - Saadiq has to be the first to actually bring it all the way back. This isn't lukewarm throwback music. Hell no. This is hot off the presses new soul music, with just as much passion and swagger as yesteryear - maybe even a little more! Although, I suppose you have to have swagger to single-handedly revive and recreate a whole era of music.

I also love the way his backup singers sing something like:

(I need you oh so bad)
(My heart's beatin' so fast yeah)


That little "yeah", or what sounds like a yeah. That makes it to me.

Great, great song from a band making real music. Go check it out, The Way I See It:

3 comments:

  1. Me likey. I was into the "neo soul" for a while and then it fell off. "Pop" music now is awful and you really have to dig (for stuff like this).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you would like it! And surprise, surprise, the last track on this album is a Jay-Z joint. Jigga what.

    ReplyDelete